With the Center for Educational Outreach, ACS POLY/PMSE planning an on-campus event for Michigan middle school and high school teachers, tentatively planned for June 26th, 2017. The day will consist of three parts:
1) Research Focus Talks -
Graduate students from a variety of disciplines will give 10-minute
general talks on their research at UM. They will be asked to focus their
talks on the basic scientific principles they use every day, how their
research can be translated to the classroom, and how their research will
impact everyday life.
2) Research Lab and Facility Tours - Visiting teachers will take 1-2 hours visiting multiple labs to see where the science is done!
3) Breakout sessions with student outreach groups - Student
outreach groups will demonstrate classroom activities they are
currently using in classrooms, giving both instructions and supplies for
the teachers to take back to their classrooms. Supplies will be covered
by the event.
event will be limited to 20 teachers this year and we plan to grow this
effort over time. We are trying to provide as collective and diverse an
event as possible and will pull volunteers and students from different
We would be delighted if you could help in this effort! You can help by:
1) Forwarding this email to students who may be interested in applying to present their research (application can be found here).
2) Letting us know of research labs that would be open to teachers touring through their facilities.
3) Encouraging student groups within your department to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if they are interested in proposing an activity.
The deadline for each of these actions is May 17th, 2017.
Thank you so much, and we look forward to working with you!
Ayse Muniz and Alyssa Travitz
Let us know if you have suggestions for future events.